What could be the worst nightmare for a girl than realizing that her face has ended up getting tanned right after a short walk to the market or to the cafe during the lunch break? The one, particular thing that we hate the most about summers is nothing but, having a greasy face and tan on just a few minutes of exposure to the Sun. How shocking and devastating it is to see your face seem patchy in the mirror on removing sunglasses, isn’t it? Moreover, it takes weeks together, or even months to resolve that unwantedly acquired tan. Expensive facials and skin treatments then come into play to get rid of the tan. Why end up spending so much of your hard money, my beautiful ladies? Do heed the advice given by the age-old proverb, “PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!” Start using the right Sunscreen to shield your delicate skin against the UVA and UVB rays of the Sun and protect it from tan and damage.
India is a tropical country wherein it remains sunny mostly all year long and there’s no question of staying indoors throughout the year. Inability to avoid the hot sun rays, blemishes the skin complexion of the women here, the most. It becomes extremely necessary to use the best possible sunscreen with higher SPF for tan prevention. Just help you out in the selection of right sunscreen, we have brought a list of top 5 sunscreens available in India at your service.
- 1. Pond’s Skin Fit Pre-Workout High Performance Sunscreen SPF 50, 100g
- 2. Lakmé Sun Expert SPF 50 PA+++ Fairness UV Sunscreen Lotion, 100ml
- 3. Herbals Safe Sun Daily Multi Function Sunblock SPF 70, 60g
- 4. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock, SPF 50+ Sunscreen, 88ml
- 5. VLCC Water Resistant Sunscreen Gel Creme, SPF 60, 100g:
1. Pond’s Skin Fit Pre-Workout High Performance Sunscreen SPF 50, 100g
- It provides good protection against damage from the Sun because of SPF 50, but it must be applied liberally onto the skin, at least 15 minutes before stepping out.
- During outdoor workouts, skin bears harsh UV rays and gets sunburnt or tanned. This high-performance skincare range is specially formulated for fitness enthusiasts who spend time outside on Sun.
- Prevents post-workout tanning and sunspots. Corrects uneven skin tone, hides the skin redness caused due to increased blood circulation post-workout and also avoids the appearance of fine lines.
- Sweatproof and waterproof formula, make it endure sweating during workout sessions, jogging, running or cycling, and water while swimming.
- Being non-comedogenic and lightweight, it won’t clog the pores or interrupt the natural sweating process by allowing the skin to breathe and suits all skin types. It can also be worn under makeup.
- Latest and best type of sunscreen available in India at a fair price.
It might make skin appear a bit unnaturally white.
2. Lakmé Sun Expert SPF 50 PA+++ Fairness UV Sunscreen Lotion, 100ml
- Having an SPF of 50, Lakme Sun Expert is the only sunscreen in India that guarantees to provide 97% broad-spectrum protection against the harmful UV rays of the sun. It helps prevent premature aging and tanning.
- It comes with an improved sweat-proof formula that outlasts the humid and sunny day outs when you rarely find time for doing touch-ups or reapply sunscreen. It provides a cooling effect.
- Lightweight, ultra-matte in texture and gets absorbed quickly into the skin without making it heavy or greasy. It’s suitable for oily skin and can be worn under makeup too.
- Moisturizes and makes the skin glow. It also lightens the skin complexion on regular use due to the presence of fairness cream formula in it.
- Dermatologically tested, hypoallergenic, suitable for all skin types and available at an affordable price.
- Makes the skin look unnaturally white by leaving behind white cast.
- Imparts satin finish to the skin instead of a matte finish.
3. Herbals Safe Sun Daily Multi Function Sunblock SPF 70, 60g
- It offers a very high SPF of 70 against intense UV radiations of the Sun, unlike any other sunscreen, which makes it one of the top 5 sunscreens available in India.
- Formulated using natural ingredients like carrots and avocado, it lightens the skin complexion by reducing freckles, pigmentation, and blemishes. Carrots being enriched with vitamin-A, vitamin-C and antioxidants not only protect skin from sun damage, pollutants, and free radicals but also lighten the skin tone giving it a healthy glow. While, avocados keep the skin hydrated, supple, and wrinkle-free by improving its texture and elasticity.
- Light in weight, makes the skin look naturally glossy and suitable for using under makeup. Doesn’t leave a white cast like sunscreens of other brands.
- Best for all skin types including sensitive, dry, normal, and acne-prone being available at such a fair price point.
- Provides good coverage, but appears a bit sticky. However, applying a layer of face powder helps to set it.
4. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock, SPF 50+ Sunscreen, 88ml
- Gives moderately high protection of SPF 50 from UVA and UVB rays, which is 5 times higher than that of staying in shade.
- Having a waterproof and sweatproof formula makes its broad-spectrum protection last long during outdoor activities or swimming. However, it’s recommended to reapply at least every 2 hours.
- Prevents skin-ageing, sun burning and tanning.
- The chemical-based formula reduces melanin on prolonged use, makes the skin fairer. Its Helioplex technology offers broad-spectrum protection from the Sun and makes it seem invisible on the skin.
- Being non-pigmented, non-oily and light, it imparts a non-shiny finish to the skin, and makes it feel smooth and soft.
- Suits oily, normal and dry skin type, and seems affordable.
- Very thick textured cream that makes it difficult to massage onto the skin. Extremely impractical to be used under makeup because it makes makeup appear uneven.
- Imparts a little greasy look after a few minutes of exposure to the Sun.
- May cause burning sensation and initiate acne breakout on sensitive skin.
- Women with sensitive skin should consider its variant, Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 50+ (For Sensitive Skin), white, 80ml that formulated especially for sensitive skin type. It stays very gentle on the skin. It’s suitable for oily skin too as it keeps the skin dry.
5. VLCC Water Resistant Sunscreen Gel Creme, SPF 60, 100g:
- High SPF protection of 60 prevents premature skin-aging and tanning on the application of 15-20 minutes before sun exposure. Excellent protection against UVA and UVB rays.
- The hydrophobic water-resistant formula makes it a perfect choice for long duration sun exposure during outdoor activities like sports or swimming.
- It contains natural ingredients such as carrot extracts and olive oil and some mild, skin-caring chemicals like Ceramide III and Niacinamide. Though it’s harmful paraben-free.
- It’s non-oily and non-comedogenic, so doesn’t clog the skin pores. It’s suitable for oily, normal, dry, and sensitive skin types and is a good option to consider in this affordable price range.
- Feels too heavy on the skin as if 3 layers of makeup have been applied. So, it isn’t suitable for use in humid regions or using under makeup as it would make you feel hot and sweat.
- Leaves a white cast on skin that makes it look extremely white.
“Sunscreen is the main course and
not the dessert in your skincare menu.”
The list that we have presented has been sifting through multiple checks of various criteria such as SPF, presence of skin-caring ingredients, long lastingness, brand reliability, and consumer preferences. So, now you can stay assured to have only the best 5 sunscreens available in India. However, it must be borne in mind that no sunscreen can offer 100% protection against the UVA/UVB rays and that too, its effect lasts for a duration of 60-80 minutes. But, it’s important to use a sunscreen that has a higher SPF. The higher the SPF, the better is the protection rendered by it. Also reapplication after every 80 minutes of sweating, or after swimming and washing face is necessary.
The sunscreens with an SPF of 15 or 20 are the mildest ones, whereas those who offer SPF of 50 or above are guaranteed to keep you sun-safe for a longer duration and in a better way. They are considered to be the best sunscreens amongst the others available in the Indian market. Although, the ones with moderate SPF ranging between 30-40 SPF are commonly used in day to day life.
The strong UVA rays of the Sun penetrate deeply into the skin promoting the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots, and cause premature aging. On the other hand, UVB rays enter the outer layer of the skin and cause sunburn. This sun damage takes longer to heal and result in tan, making the use of sunscreen creams and lotions essential. While picking up a sunscreen, one must watch out for the one that’s meant for their skin type to avoid unnecessary allergies, offers broad-spectrum sun protection, and stays waterproof too, if possible. Hopefully, this article has guided you and fulfilled its motive.
About the Author
Loves coffee and animals. Is an extreme admirer of gardens and nature. When not bird watching, Rose prefers to blog and write about home improvements and wellness.