Smile is the index of a face and a person’s greatest asset. A good smile gives a positive impression to the people around them. But many external things like smoking, drinking, caffeine and poor oral health cause many dental problems like dental plaque and tartar making our smile fade away.
Don’t worry! Here we have come up with 5 best home remedies to remove the dental plaque naturally.
1. Baking Soda
The most popularly used home remedy for cleaning tooth plaque is Baking soda. Many studies also suggest that brushing with toothpaste containing baking soda has significantly reduced plaque in teeth than the ones that did not have baking soda.
Carbohydrates in food can reduce the pH level in the mouth, thus producing more acid which causes demineralization of teeth or enamel loss. Baking soda is alkaline which stabilizes pH level inside the mouth and prevents demineralization.
How to use
- Take a small amount of baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- Wet your brush and dip the bristles into the baking soda mixture.
- Brush your teeth with the mixture. Rinse with regular or lukewarm water.
- Follow this twice a week to get good results.
- You can also mix the baking soda with toothpaste and brush regularly.
Baking soda is a natural cleanser and abrasive and hence it is powerful in removing tooth plaque. It is also believed that brushing with baking soda will brighten your teeth. You can also replace your regular toothpaste with toothpaste containing baking soda.
2. Vinegar Solution
Vinegar is a wonderful ingredient to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth. The acetic acid in the vinegar prevents the demineralization of teeth. Both white and apple cider vinegar solutions can be used to get rid of the accumulated plaque.
Vinegar has anti-bacterial properties which help to flush all the bacteria in the mouth. Its whitening property removes yellowish texture to a certain extent on regular use.
How to use
- Take two spoons of Vinegar and one spoon of salt.
- Mix it with a small amount of water.
- Gargle using this vinegar solution and rinse it with water.
- Follow this once or twice a week.
You can also brush your teeth with vinegar. Although it may give a good result, vinegar is powerful. So it is better to dilute it with water and restrict its use to once or twice a week. It is easily available and a cheap ingredient. So make use of this vinegar to remove plaque in addition to cooking and salad dressing.
3. Orange Peel
Citrus fruits like orange and lemon have natural bleaching properties and are very effective in removing plaque. We eat the orange and throw off its skin as a waste. But do you know that the orange skin can be used to treat tooth plaques? It is effective in fighting bacteria and protects the teeth from demineralization. So, you can remove tooth plaque without spending a single penny!
How to use
- Grind the orange peel and make a paste.
- Apply it all over the tartar in your teeth.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and wash later.
If you are tired of doing all the grinding, try this easy method. Just rub the orange peel over your teeth and leave it for some time. Rinse after few minutes. The orange extract helps to remove the plaque and tartars from the teeth.
Lemon juice also works great for removing all the bad microbes from the teeth. Just apply the lemon juice in the teeth for a few minutes and wash it after some time.
4. Aloe Vera and Glycerin
We all know that Aloe Vera is healthy and has a lot of medicinal values. But little we know that it can be used to eliminate dental plaques and tartars. Just grow a small aloe vera in your home and enjoy its salutary benefits.
Aloe Vera is an excellent antimicrobial agent that helps in reducing plaque and also ensures strong gums without infection. The combination of aloe vera and glycerin does a commendable job in cleaning the teeth.
How to use
- Take a small tablespoon of aloe vera gel, four tablespoons of glycerin, 2 tablespoons of baking soda, one tablespoon of lemon juice or lemon oil, and some water.
- Mix all of them and scrub your teeth with it. You can also leave them for some time in the teeth.
- Wash it after few minutes.
- Do this for 2 or 3 times a week and you will be amazed by the results.
Aloe vera is a bit bitter but this combination makes it light. You can also use this mixture instead of toothpaste. This healthy dose of mixture minimizes the yellowness and brightens your teeth naturally. You need not look for expensive toothpaste to remove the tooth plaque anymore!
Have you ever thought that munching fruit like guava is good for your teeth? Yes, guava is a great fruit with strong medicinal values. It has an anti-plaque property that not only removes accumulated plaque from teeth but also prevents the formation of new plaque.
How to use
- Just chew the guava leaves till it becomes dry and spit it out after use. The extracts of guava leaf remove the stored tartars effectively.
- Another easy method is to eat unripe guava by sprinkling salt on it. Have this fruit regularly to reduce the risk of plaque pile up in your teeth.
Both the fruit and the leaf of guava are of great use and are good for your teeth. It also reduces swelling in the gums ensuring strong and healthy teeth. The next time when you see a guava leaf, don’t throw it out. Chew and extract the benefits of this amazing leaf instead.
Few other readily available fruits and ingredients like tomatoes, strawberries, sesame seeds, figs and cloves also reduce plaque in your teeth to a great extent.
In addition to this, take good care of your teeth. Brush regularly and do it twice a day. Take regular dental checkups and maintain good oral hygiene. You will see your smile getting brighter day by day!
About the Author
Loves coffee and animals. Is an extreme admirer of gardens and nature. When not bird watching, Rose prefers to blog and write about home improvements and wellness.